While I’m finishing up this week’s Life Lessons post, I thought I’d post something silly and light to pass the time.
One of the great things about having a blog is that a blog is not the same as a mirror. What I write is not necessarily a perfect portrayal of who I am as a person. For instance, reading this post, you don’t know that I’m sitting here in the same yogurt-stained sweatpants I’ve been wearing for the past three days.
Well, I guess now you do; but most of the time writing a blog allows me to edit out my weirdest faults and worst imperfections. What I write is very representative of me–but more like an air-brushed version of me. Not the one who hasn’t washed her hair in 2 days and plans on serving toast for dinner tonight.
So in honor of ‘keeping it real’ and in hopes of busting through the rotten bit of writer’s block I’ve got going on, I give you:
11 Weird Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me (and probably didn’t want to know either):
1. I didn’t eat my first salad until I was a freshman in college. My dorm-mate had to lead me by the hand through the salad bar line and explain all of the options to me. (Thank you Kendall!) I’m still making up for lost time, I eat salad almost everyday now.
2. I love grocery stores. My favorite thing to do in a new city is go to the grocery stores. Seriously. Forget the sites, forget the beach, give me aisle and aisles of produce and weird and exciting versions of jam.
3. The last time I blow-dried my hair was for the holiday party our Consulate General threw in Chengdu last year. The time before that? I can’t remember. This isn’t a new-Mama thing, I’ve blow-dried my hair maybe 15 times in the past 5 years. I’ve only gotten 3 pedicures in my life. I once turned down a free cosmetic procedure to even out my front teeth. And yet, I won’t leave the house without putting on blush and mascara. Go figure.
4. I eat oatmeal with dried cranberries for breakfast every. single. day–ideally with a mug of coffee and an internet connection with which to peruse the interwebs in peace. I’m incredibly particular about how I make my oatmeal. I have my own propriety mix of ingredients and I think I might actually rather go hungry than let someone else attempt to make it for me. Kind of nuts, I know. When Will was little, the hardest thing about becoming a Mama wasn’t actually the sleep deprivation, it was giving up my private morning communion with my bowl of oatmeal.
5. I’ve been known to fall asleep in mid-sentence.
6. I don’t like watching television. If it’s on though, I can’t look away. You can have an entire conversation about me, in front of me–but if the television is on, it’s very likely I won’t hear a word of it.
7. I sometimes take multi-tasking to absurd extremes. My husband’s number one pet peeve with me is my habit of brushing my teeth at night while also putting on pajamas and trying to read a book at the same time.
8. I have horrible vision but I’ll never get LASIK due to an irrational fear of either losing my sight or spending the rest of my life feeling like I have sand in my eyes. Well, irrational fear and the knowledge that the surgery results might reverse themselves should I ever find myself in the middle of a summit bit on Mount Everest. Hey, it could happen right?
9. I tend to carry too many things at once, to the point of looking something like a bag lady. And yet, if I ever have two hands free when we’re out walking I usually feel slightly uncomfortable.
10. I hate petunias. I don’t know why, I guess I think they smell bad. And I just don’t like them.
11. I’d like to, at different points in my life, write, teach and open up a small bakery/cafe. When I “retire” the plan is to get myself a workshop and take up woodworking. Oh, and to drive an old sage-green pick-up truck. I’ll need something to haul all of that wood after all.
What are the strange things few people know about you?